Thursday, November 16, 2006

more absurdity

These kinds of talking points have been around for a few years with the radical, irrational right. Since losing so much last week the Coulter wing of the Republican Party has gone into the posture of a rabid dog raising its hackles. A skunk spraying would also be an adequate simile. Here are two examples.

First we have Glenn Beck. Why do the media continue to give microphones to people like this? There are plenty of intelligent conservatives in this country. I may not agree with them but I respect their intellect and their right to a difference of opinion. Yet CNN decided to give this guy a show so he could say to the first Muslim to serve in the U.S. Congress:

“I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, ‘Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.’ “ Beck added: "I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.”
Did you notice how he attempts to create a façade of rational thought to give himself cover to ask the question? “I not it’s wrong to think this but I have to ask you anyway. There’s nothing wrong with the question. Millions of Americans are thinking it.”

You can see the video here.

Then we have the Fox Opinion Channel. For more on that see Olbermann below.

I said it in the last post. This isn’t a matter of civility. It’s a matter of intelligence. I don’t think it’s too harsh to say that when a conservative/Republican compares the Democrats/liberals to al-Qaida, or any variation on that statement, it is an indication that the person making that comparison has nothing of value to say.

No comments: